Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Snuggle?

Wow, with the beautiful bout of weather, I wish I had more pictures to put up. I will take a look at the pictures that I have taken and post a few of them soon. Sometimes it takes too long to upload pictures here. Sorry about that, I will definitely get on top of that soon.

So much is changing every single day here. I cannot believe the number of words that Max has in his vocabulary, and how many more he picks up every single day. He understands most of what I say to him (at least he responds in such a way that I think he does: moving things around, putting things away, picking things up), it's amazing that 2 years ago he was just a little tiny thing inside of me and a year ago, he was barely mobile.

Along those lines, I am sad to say I have not been snuggling with my little one lately. Snuggle is the word that we use for nursing. It happened quite by accident that I would say to Max, "come snuggle with Mum" or "do you want to snuggle?" and sometimes we would nurse and sometimes we would just cuddle. When he started to talk and started saying "nnngo?" it took me a couple of days to realize that he was asking to snuggle, or in his mind, to nurse.

I know that Max does not need to nurse, he has been drinking organic whole milk since he was 12 months old and he eats normal food with us and drinks more than enough milk without nursing. But I really did enjoy nursing and the snuggling we got in. I know I am not producing much anymore either, so he is not getting much (if anything at all)in the way of nutrients or filling himself up, that's for sure. We have gone days without it, so I know it is not a necessity. But I have to admit, I like being able to bond with Max and provide that kind of comfort for him.

I did not realize how comforting it is to me, when he asks for it. I never imagined how attached I would be to those cuddle times and how much I would miss them. I am lucky that Max will still come over and cuddle and hug me when I ask him to (who knows how long that will last?).

We are nearing his 2 year mark (in September), so I guess it is just as well. I still do not want to be one of those parents that has their 4 year old child walk up and start lifting up my shirt. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it would just feel weird to me.

The plan (in my mind), was always to allow Max to self-wean and he pretty much did. It is just the last little bit that has been a little bit challenging. If I put him to bed, then he tends to ask for a snuggle, but if Ross takes him, he just goes to bed... so there has been a little bit of strategy to it. I can put him to bed without it, I just have to be very careful about the timing of everything. We used to spend some time in the morning in bed, so now I get him up right away and we no longer "snuggle" in the morning. We are busy, so I am sure he does not even notice that we aren't doing it. Now Mum just has to get used to it...

No comments: